Grinders are an often underrated tool in creating the perfect cup of coffee and espresso. A great grinder will transform your coffee experience. Your coffee will be more flavorful and delicious. You’ll be able to determine your coffee’s flavor and strength. Fresh coffee is the best. Ground coffee only remains fresh for about 30 minutes while whole bean coffee can stay fresh for a month or more. Additionally you can grind your coffee for any type of coffee brewer.
To provide that fresh cup of coffee or espresso for us all, Baratza has revolutionized burr grinders with the Sette series. They offer a few different variations, but this article will focus on the high-end Sette 270 and Sette 270wi.
Why I love the Baratza Sette 270wi!
- Grind settings – The adjustment system for both the Baratza Sette 270 and 270wi have 30 macro settings and a step-less micro adjuster with 9 indicators. The plethora of settings allows me to adjust to the type of bean and the type of coffee that I am making. For example I like to extract 30 grams of espresso in 30 seconds. If my pull takes more than 32 seconds I can make the grind a bit more course.
- Grinding coffee directly into a portafilter – I make esspresso and this grinder allows me to grind the coffee into the portafilter, which is essential for any espresso grinder. However, the portafilter holder moves to the side so you can also grind into the supplied grounds bin for different types of coffee. Rest assured that your coffee grinds won’t stick to the grounds bin due to the state of the art anti-static technology.
- Automatic Settings – After using a bean for a short time one can hone in on the perfect grind adjustment and quickly figure out how many seconds it takes to grind about 18 grams of beans (which I usually like to grind for a double shot of espresso). The Baratza Sette 270 has 3 presets that can be saved for your convienence. I have 2 saved for my favorite specialty coffee beans that I often use for my morning cappuccino.
- Built-in scale – one beautiful feature of the Sette 270wi is the coffee grinder’s built-in scale. This weight-based dosing enables hands free grinding so you can grind the perfect amount of coffee each time. The weight-based dosing actually weighs the coffee grinds as they are distributed directly into your portafilter.
- Bean Hopper – The Sette 270 and Sette 270wi both offer a bean hopper capacity of about 10oz. This is helpful for an espresso grinder so that I don’t have to measure out my beans everyday.
- Upside down 40mm conical burr coffee grinder – Burr grinders are the best type of grinder for home or commercial use as the burr produces consistent grind size. The conical burrs on the Baratza Sette 270wi cut coffee beans into a uniform size (as opposed to cheaper “burr grinders” that just crush the beans), which is vital for creating an awesome cup of espresso or coffee. By ensuring that the grind size is uniform the user can ensure that the coffee or espresso is perfectly extracted from each particle. The revolutionary upside down conical burrs in the Sette 270 and 270wi send coffee directly into your portafilter and has zero retention of coffee grounds. This ensures that only fresh coffee enters your portafilter or coffee bin.
- Baratza Support – I purchased my refurbished baratza sette grinder from Baratza. After about a year and a half the grinder wouldn’t turn on. I called baratza and we figured out that it was a fuse. They sent me a fuse and the directions for how to install it. Additionally, they sent me free hopper cover that I had lost. I installed the fuse and it worked for about another 2 years. At that time the grinder would turn on but it wouldn’t grind. Once again I spoke to Baratza and we figured out that it was the Sette’s high torque DC motor. They sent me a new one with the instructions on how to install the part. Once again this was free of charge. I installed it and my grinder is working perfectly again!
- Speed – This is an exceptionally fast grinder. I am often in a hurry in the morning and this grinder only takes about 4 to 5 seconds to grind enough coffee for a double shot.
What I don’t love about the Baratza Sette 270wi:
- Noise level – The grinder is loud. If I’m in a conversation I do have to place it on hold while I grind. However, because it is a very fast grinder that doesn’t take very long.
As you can see the list of positive attributes of this grinder far outweigh the negative. At its price point, most people will be very satisfied with this espresso grinder for use in the home. However, if you are in the market for a commercial grinder you will want to look into another more expensive machine.
Speed To Grind Espresso 3.5g/sec—Manual Brewing 5.5g/sec
Burrs 40 mm Steel by Etzinger
Bean Hopper Capacity 10 oz (300-400 g)
Grounds Bin Capacity 5.5 oz (160g)Weight7lbs (3.2 kg)
Dimensions WxHxD (cm) 13 / 40 / 24
Power Rating 220-240VAC 50/60 Hz, 240W 1.6A, class I 100-120VAC 50/60 Hz, 200W 2.6
Safety Listing UL/CSA/CE/EK
Designed & Engineered Seattle, WA, USA
Manufactured & Assembled Taiwan
What are the differences between the Sette 270 and the Sette 270wi?
The main difference is that the Sette 270wi uses a built-in Acaia scale to grind the beans based on weight while the 270 grinds based upon time. The 270wi automatically stops dosing upon reaching the desired weight, where the 270 stops the dose after a certain amount of time. The 270wi can’t dose by time, only weight. This makes it annoying to single dose. Additionally, many users report that the wi started out dosing accurately then over time the weight based dosing becomes less accurate.
The Sette 270W is a great idea on paper. I do love the concept of weight-based dosing with espresso grinders, so a grinder that does it for you sounds like a dream. Since this functionality didn’t perform quite as planned, I recommend the standard Sette 270. Also the 270 is about $150 cheaper.